Kazan Aviation Factory n.a. S.P.Gorbunov - branch of Tupolev PJSC is a modern enterprise with a high intellectual and technical potential, a unique Russian aircraft-manufacturing complex. Within the years of its existence, the plant has produced 22 types of aircraft, with a total number exceeding 20 thousands, including world-famous airplanes - Pe-2, Pe-8, Pe-16, Tu-104B, Tu-22MЗ, Tu-160, Il-62M.
The enterprise history starts on May 14, 1927. It was the day when the Council of Labour and Defence resolution about the organization of Government aircraft plant №7 in Moscow was issued. In 5 months, the plant got a new inventory number – 22. That time, a task of topmost importance was given to the Moscow plant– to provide production of ANT-3 first domestic all-metal reconnaissance airplane within a very short period of time.
Within the period since 1927 to 1931, the team of the plant had mastered mass production of the following airplanes, developed in Tupolev Experimental Design Bureau: ANT-3, twin-engine bomber ANT-4, fighter ANT-5, long-range four-engine bomber ANT-6. In 1929, the flight Moscow – New York – Moscow was made on ANT-4 named as "Strana Sovetov" ("Soviet Country"). This flight had shown the achievements of soviet aircraft engineering and skills of soviet pilots to the whole world.
Five years later, that was ANT-4, on which Anatoly Liapidevsky rescued women and children, who took part in the expedition of the "Cheluskyn" steamship, which got down in the Arctic Ocean.
In 1931, the plant started serial production of ANT-7 multipurpose aircraft, which was developed as reconnaissance airplane, long-range escort fighter, bomber and torpedo bomber. Previously, a passenger airplane ANT-9 had been put into production. Decision on its serial production was taken at the very beginning of its development, that's why production of the aircraft began already in 1929. ANT-9 prototype was built within record short time limits – only 4.5 months, and then it was exhibited at the Red Square as a symbol of soviet aircraft engineering achievements.
In 1933, director of the plant Sergei Petrovich Gorbunov died in a flight accident. Due to his proper leadership, the plant was awarded with the highest governmental decoration - the Order of Lenin, for mastering the production of special types of heavy airplanes and good organization of work. By the request of the workers, since then, the plant was named after S.P. Gorbunov.
Kazan Aviation factory is 5 years younger than its Moscow "brother". Its building was announced as a top-priority project of a five-year plan. An aircraft industrial complex was built on a place of barrens and bogs by 1934. KAI-1 sport-training plane became a firstling of the plant. It performed its first flight in 1935. It was a twin-engine low-wing monoplane for 5 persons, which was supposed to be produced as a passenger airplane for local airlines and as a military type plane. Two months later, KAI-1 participated in USSR flight of sport-training planes, that was arranged by the "Pravda" newspaper editorial office and Central council of Osoaviahim. As a result it was highly estimated by experts.
In 1939, ANT-20bis - analogue of the famous airplane “Maxim Gorky”, was built at Kazan factory. Several types of airplanes were “charged to fly” at the factory by the end of 1930-ies, such as: DB-A long-range bomber, Pe-8 heavy bomber and Li-2 passenger airplane.
In November 1941, due to beginning of the Great Patriotic War, Moscow aviation factory № 22 was evacuated to the territory of its "Kazan" brother. On December 26, 1941 Moscow plant № 22 and Kazan plant № 124 were united by order of the People’s commissariat of aircraft industry. The enterprise was named "Kazan Aviation factory №22 n.a. S.P. Gorbunov".
During the Great Patriotic War Kazan Aviation factory produced Pe-2 dive-bomber and Pe-8 long-range bomber. Every 24 hours 10-12 Pe-2 were sent to the front. More than 10 thousands of these planes were produced during the War. Pe-2 became the main bomber of domestic Air Force.
Fourteen workers of the factory were awarded with super-rank of "Hero of the Soviet Union" for services in battle, and in 1945 team of the factory was awarded with its second decoration – Red Banner Order for perfect execution of Governmental task on building of airplanes. The Red challenge banner of USSR Governmental Committee of Defence was given to the factory for infinite storage.
After the end of the Great Patriotic War, advanced equipment and instrumentation were implemented in the shop-floors of the factory, with top technologies being mastered and organization of labor being improved.
In 1945, it was decided by the People’s commissariat of aircraft industry to start production of Tu-4 long-range heavy bomber at the plant. This aircraft was the first soviet nuclear weapon carrier. It was "charged to fly" by the plant team in a record short time of 1.5 years. More than 600 aircraft were produced in Kazan and became the basis of soviet strategic aviation.
After just 5 years of successful production and operation of Tu-16, USSR Ministers Council decided to start production of Tu-104 passenger liner, based on it. In 1956, Soviet Government made a decision on maximum possible supporting of domestic aircraft engineering. The first step was to order the modification of Tu-104 (Tu-110) for governmental needs. Then the whole soviet government started to fly on planes, which were built at "Kazan Aviation factory named after S.P. Gorbunov". 10 years later, the Soviet upper echelon would fly on IL-62M long-range airplanes, which would have been also built at KAPA.
Simultaneously, long-range aviation is being developed: Tu-22 supersonic long-range bombers - rocket carriers, which were produced at the factory in 1960-1969, had high reliability level and handling qualities. The enterprise had produced 311 Tu-22 of different modifications.
Since 1970 till 1990, Tu-22M, Tu-22M2, Tu-22M3 supersonic long-range bombers - rocket carriers and Tu-160 supersonic strategic bomber were mastered and put into serial production. Due to this fact, the enterprise almost doubled its working areas and updated its technological equipment.
In 1971, the plant was awarded with the Order of Lenin for successful execution of the five-year plan and organization of production of new aircraft, and in 1977, it was awarded with the Order of October revolution for outstanding services in development and production of new aircraft.
In the middle of 1990-s, Kazan plant in cooperation with Tupolev design bureau began development and manufacture mastering of Tu-214 passenger airliner. First flight of the production airplane was performed in 1996.
On October 22, 2009, KAPA n.a. S.P. Gorbunov JSC was included in the United Aircraft Corporation (UAC JSC), that was formed according to the Executive Order of the Russian President of 20/02/2006.
At the 5-th international aerospace exhibition ACTO - 2010 in the city of Kazan, an agreement on complex development of KAPA n.a. S.P. Gorbunov JSC was signed between the Government of Tatarstan Republic and UAC JSC. The agreement regulates obligations of the Parties on increasing aircraft production, including special purpose variants of Tu-214, in total not less than 4 aircraft per year, and also on developing a number of other advanced projects of the enterprise. This agreement is the second one – in August 2008, at the 4-th exhibition ACTO – 2008 a document, regulating cooperation of the Parties on involvement additional investment resources for development of KAPA n.a. S.P. Gorbunov JSC, was signed between the Ministers Cabinet of Tatarstan republic, UAC JSC and KAPA n.a. S.P. Gorbunov JSC.
In March 2013, UAC JSC Council of Directors decided to integrate 2 enterprises: KAPA n.a. S.P. Gorbunov JSC and Tupolev PJSC. Reorganization of the companies finished in June 2014 by addition of KAPA n.a. S.P. Gorbunov JSC to Tupolev PJSC. The new enterprise in the city of Kazan was named Kazan Aviation Factory n.a. S.P.Gorbunov - branch of Tupolev PJSC (KAF n.a. S.P. Gorbunov).
Today, KAF n.a. S.P. Gorbunov is the only Russian enterprise, that can produce strategic bombers of the latest generation, which are in demand due to the defense doctrine of our country.
Proved itself to be a fine passenger airliner, Tu-214 was chosen as a basis for creating a number of special purpose airplanes. Its special modifications were developed by the special order of Kremlin’s property department by Tupolev PJSC. Range of these aircraft was increased up to 10,000 km by installation of additional fuel tanks. Tu-214 also became optimal base for the Ministry of Defence airplanes. More specifically, KAF n.a. S.P. Gorbunov produces Tu-214OS, developed for realization of the "Open Skies" international project.
Another advanced direction of the enterprise activity is cooperated production development. Today, the enterprise is actively mastering the production of empennage for Il-76-MD-90A.
In the process of mastering the production of new airplanes, KAF n.a. S.P. Gorbunov is permanently improving its production base, with attention to equipping the factory with up-to-date equipment and implementation of advanced and unique technologies. In its development, the enterprise is oriented to modern CAD and CAM technologies that provide additional competitive advantages.